Job Description Job Title: Production Manager
Reports to: Orchestra Manager Status: Exempt, Full time
Job Purpose: The Production Manager provides assistance to the Operations, Artistic, and Education departments with production needs for all PSO services at Heinz Hall, as well as PSO concerts and presentations at other venues.
Key Concert Production Responsibilities
- Work closely with the stage crew, Artistic Administration, Hall Management and Education to produce PSO concerts and communicate accurate concert information to the entire organization, including concert production notes, stage plots, and tech sheets.
- Work closely with the Manager of Artistic Operations to advance and execute all pops and special productions.
- Work with the Marketing and Development departments on the creation of concert messaging slideshow.
- Produce/acquire any required production elements such as slides, backdrops, props, video, audio, and costumes.
- Design lighting for Pops and Education concerts, galas, and other special concerts as needed.
- Hire and oversee additional concert production staff as needed including stage managers, lighting designers, teleprompter operators, and video directors.
- Work with the Technical Director to determine the crew call for concerts and to schedule the stage crew to maximize their schedule.
- Schedule and run regular production meetings.
- Create and communicate load-in/load-out schedules to the local trucking company.
- Work with bus companies on travel schedules for tours and run-outs.
- Create and maintain stage plots for all PSO performances.
Key Off-site Concert Production Responsibilities
- Create and communicate advance materials for PSO run-out performances.
- Work with the Orchestra Manager on aspects of tour planning, including the creation of electronic tour forms, invoices, and payroll deduction forms. General Operations Responsibilities
- Monitor spending in Operations against forecasts and budgets through the regular preparation of invoices for approval and tracking of actual expenses.
- Create and manage project budgets in line with production requirements.
- Gather weekly stagehand actuals from the Technical Director.
- Perform monthly reconciliations with Financial Edge.
- Recruit and supervise departmental interns.
- Maintain working knowledge of collective bargaining agreement with the AFM and IATSE.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the Orchestra and Stagehands.
- Manager on Duty for concerts as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned.
Necessary skills, experience, and qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2-3 years’ performing arts operations experience or equivalent combination of education and/or training and experience.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, and desktop publishing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize multiple projects with a high level of energy.
- Capacity to work under pressure and as a team player.
Desirable skills, experience, and qualifications
- Proficiency in OPAS database